Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Holidays

Happy Holidays! We were not able to make it back home to California because of work, so we spent our first Christmas with just the two of us. It turned out to be a ton of fun. We were able to video chat with both of our families on Christmas so that made it feel like we were with them.

We spent Christmas Eve reading Luke 2, eating a traditional Bethlehem meal (tuna melts, beef jerky, and sparkling apple cider) on the floor, and watching Christmas movies.


Jack couldn't hardly sleep on Christmas Eve, but he never can. He always tries to wake me up around 7 or so. When we walked into our living room we found that Santa had come!


I got Jack this license plate frame for the new car.


Jack got me a pink BB gun. He thinks that if you live in Oregon you need a gun :).

Christmas Day was especially fun because we got to talk to my brother who is on a mission in Oregon. It was so fun to hear his voice.

The next day Jack made me wake up at 5:00 A.M. so that we could drive 2 and a half hours to Boise for some day after Christmas shopping. It was a tiring trip but fun to be in a real mall. After shopping we drove over to an Olive Garden for some lunch. Jack was acting a little odd but I didn't think too much of it. We pulled into our parking spot and Jack started video taping me and said, "We are in Boise..." and I just looked at him completely confused. Just as he finished saying that I heard some bangs on my window and saw my Mom, Ann-Marie, Sarah, Matt, and Will! They had left late Christmas Day and drove through the night to get to us. Everyone, including Jack, knew about it except for me. They kept it a complete surprise! I had no idea. They came to stay with us for a week. We had so much fun. We spent most of the trip relaxing watching "Lost" from season 1. Mixed in were random sledding trips to the hill by our house.

We celebrated New Years in our pajamas this year with some IBC root beer, poppers, and "Lost".



Here is the video I mentioned earlier. I think you can tell how shocked I was.



We hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season! Happy 2010!

10 comments:

Teresa said...

Looks like you all had a great time. Loved the vid clip.

Christy said...

Hey, even we knew about the surprise before you did. Marty told us about it when we were in Palm Springs before Christmas. I loved the video. That was fun to watch.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

That is AWESOME!! Glad he got that on video! Happy New Year!

Chelsey and Casey said...

How fun! It is pathetic that I am crying over that video-- let's blame it on pregnancy hormones. I am so happy you got to be with your family!

verna said...

What fun pictures. Glad you have a blog and I can peek at it whenever I want. Great surprise about your family. I knew it too! Guess we know Jack can keep a secret!

Love you two. Happy New Year!

Leslie said...

Your gifts crack me up! Looks like you two had a fun Christmas together. That was so sweet of your family to surprise visit you. Miss you guys sooo much!!!

Darlene said...

OH my gosh I got a little teary eyed too and I'm not even prego! so fun, you guys are too cute. Hey are you guys going to go to Vegas on Presidents weekend? I hope so, we miss you all tons!

Shaylen said...

What an awesome surprise!!! We drove straight through the night to see our family so we could spend New Years with them.

Kristine and Philip said...

Jack, I'm so proud of you...I have a hard time with secrets...you are awesome! So fun for Melissa to have her family come for a visit. You two are so cute! We love you! Aunt Kris & Uncle Phil

Keechler said...

How fun! What a great surprise! I'm glad you had a wonderful holiday season.